Are you looking for Bathtub refinishing in Lincoln Acres CA? SB Refinishers is your local solution Call us today for a FREE consultation (619) 781-8949
You can probably say this about lots of things, but tubs–they simply don’t make ‘em like they used to. For the bigger part of the past century, bathtubs were formed from cast iron and coated with porcelain enamel. Bathrooms were built around them. These tubs were greatly fuller and so more inviting than the baths you had find now. The dominant color for bathtubs is white and it’s also almost the sole method to really go.
With the 60s and 70s came the investigation of bathroom fixtures in browns, beige, pastels, and so on. Despite these poor options, tubs in this era were still really nicely made. Baths in steel seemed while building shifted to comprise lightweights like acrylic, and in layout, these steel tubs were refined and even sometimes sculptural like the casting irons.
Cast iron is usually heralded for its indestructibility, even when rust might set in. It has a close relative in steel, in fact one would turn into the other. Cast iron is more heavy, while steel is heavy, and baths made of these metals finally last well beyond their finish.
Learn more about:refinishing services in San Diego – we cover your needs in Lincoln Acres CA.
For just these reasons, you might decide to refinish a bathtub. Any kind of bath can be refinished while those with a classic clawfoot refinish hope to attain a vintage feel. This article focus on the redo of an alcove bath, definitely the most frequently installed bathtub.
Tools Materials Ability Level
• Acid-Based commercial cleanser Complex
• Putty knife •
• Straight razor • Baking soda
• Stiff bristle brush • Builders paper
• Auto polisher/buffer •
Polish pads and • Buffing • Sandpaper
• Respirator • Sailcloth drop cloth
• Rubber gloves • Porcelain repair epoxy or polyester glazing putty
Towels and • Rags • Two-Part fiberglass repair putty
Shop towels or • Paper • Tack fabric
• Little blending trough • Porcelain bonding agent
Peculiarity acrylic urethane OR acrylic aliphatic polyurethane OR high gloss polyurethane and white paint
• Electric paint sprayer • Denatured alcohol
• Caulk gun • Silicone caulk
Plumbing tools that are •
Tub Refinishing Concerns
Cast iron and steel tubs are very heavy, as mentioned previously, and you’ll need at least three, a hand, to remove and deliver them to a refinishing works. In case of an alcove bath, one that is “built in,” it is usually best to approach it while it is still in place.
A refinishing works may generally start with a process called “dunking” or stripping the original finish. After stripped, your tub may again have a porcelain enamel employed before it is finally re-fired in a kiln. Similar coatings can be applied onsite; stripping, however, is replaced with other means of prep.
Will You Replace Hardware?
Working under the premise that once (re)concluded, you’ll have a new appearance bathtub. It could be worthwhile to plan for an update of the tub’s present drain hardware.
It ought to be pointed out, too, the borders are usually the “poorest” part of any finish. In a place always subjected to water, prior to applying your new bathtub finish, it makes sense at minimum to eliminate the drain.
Note: When upgrading a bath’s drain assembly, access to the lower wall cavity behind the bathtub drain is demanded at a minimum.
Need help with Bathtub refinishing? SB Refinishers provides you with the highest quality services for your needs.
Because, usually, you’ll be working with paints that are airborne and caustic stuff, ensure that you’ve got adequate venting as you work. Along with running a built in bathroom fan, it could also make sense to open a window and use cross-ventilation by placing a fan in an opposing doorway. If additional concerns continue around your capability to work or implement paint efficiently, ventilation equipment may also be leased at rental centres or home improvement stores.
Prepare the Job
There are numerous approaches available for essentially preparing a tub refinish. Whatever the approach you choose, take great care in this phase. The measures below are common to any job preparation approach you might select:
1) Remove Existing Caulk: Remove caulk which should be touching the tub surface. Begin by cutting the top and bottom edges of the caulk bead using a utility knife. Entirely remove. Sweep out or vacuum up any debris that will make its way to the bottom of the bath.
2) Remove OR Mask the Overflow Plate: Plan to replace existing tub hardware. The bathtub’s drain is still in good working order, and also if this really is not doable, remove. Baths fitted with interconnected stoppers can be disconnected or disassembled, but because of uniquenesses in moving parts (especially with vintage tubs), it may be best to simply conceal overflow plates away. Be conscious not to allow linkages to fall back in the overflow should you opt to remove a connected lever or drain.
3) Remove Drain Pop Up, Strainer Assembly, OR Mask: Remove as many of the exposed finished drain parts as possible. Mask any finished surface that you simply select not to remove. Poke holes in masking tape to allow for drainage of water as it’ll be used much later in the prep stage, or make an X.
4) Give the Tub an Industrial Cleaning: Using an acid-based cleanser, spray down the entire tub surface. Allow the merchandise sit for five full minutes and use a stiff-bristled brush to scrub away spots. Because these cleansers are caustic, wear rubber gloves (or better) and a correctly rated respirator. Then allow the bath dry.
5) Mask Off the Tub Area: Using a comparatively strong plastic, begin at the edge of the bathtub and mask off the alcove walls at least four feet. Mask both the interior of the tub as well as the face (or apron) of the tub as it intersects with bathroom walls. As it meets the floor, do the same with the bath. Cut holes in locations where bathtub spouts or faucet handles may seem. Before spraying, use masking tape.
6) Mask Tub Spout and Faucet Handles: While you may require to time this with the other measures under, wrapping tub spouts and faucets with builder’s paper or additional plastic (cling wrap will work just as well). Alternatively, it may make sense just to remove them.
Ready the Surface and Make Minor Repairs
Use a stiff-bristled four inch stain brush or a scrub brush to implement an acid etch designed specially for porcelain. Cover the face of the tub fully and let about 15 minutes for this merchandise to do its thing. Wear rubber gloves (or better) and a correctly rated respirator. Wipe dry with shop towels.
Options for Acid Etching
Some will forgo acid etching in favor of employing a bonding agent only. Others might use mechanical means to rough up the tub surface. This really is accomplished by way of using sanding (aka flap) discs fitted to an angle grinder. While this method is somewhat aggressive, most finishing products are self-leveling to the degree that they’ll level out fairly over a “ ” surface that is scarified.
Fixing Tub Surface Imperfections
Grittiness and spots can appear on bath surfaces after decades of improper cleaning. Bleach and abrasive cleansers can be detrimental to bathtub surfaces, themselves. Green spots or rust can be addressed using oxalic acid combined in hot water with talc to form a paste that was whiting.
Dings or chips must additionally be addressed prior to applying a finish. Blend of two -component fiberglass repair putty and apply to the affected area using a plastic spreader.
If necessary, follow with polyester or porcelain glazing to fill in modest pockets which could show up in the repaired region.
Wipe down the bath with paper towels and follow with a tack cloth.
Optional: For a much more comprehensive cleaning, give the bath one final wipe with fast-evaporating denatured alcohol.
Caution: If acids were not used, just use or have been effectively neutralized.
Applying Finishes: DIY Strategy
That is a seemingly innumerable collection of refinishing kits accessible from reputable manufacturers. Generally, you’ll find varying degrees of both dry times and quality with these products. Do your homework before buying and comprehend that cost may inform effectiveness over time. Pick a name that is reputable and follow all directions closely. These kits should give a finish continuing one to five years with appropriate care.
Build Your Very Own Apparel
Brush on a suitable bonding agent,or spray on an appropriate primer using an airless (sub HVLP) paint sprayer (available for lease at local home improvement stores or rental centers). The topcoat is applied using the same sprayer (make sure to wash it thoroughly between steps). Hold the gun about six inches from the surface when spraying. Work using long strokes and a continuous motion, overlapping slightly as you move forth and back. Play about with a mixture of white paint and high-gloss polyurethane. Instead, spray or roll on a two-component marine epoxy. This process should give a finish which will endure between 3 and 10 years, in the event that you’ven’t skimped on homework.
Using Finishes: Pro Approach
Professional refinishers are plentiful, but be warned: the products and techniques used plus their views vary.
(There is much discussion online about the favorite sprayer kind for this job.n general, choose airless and HVLP through others.) Determined by the merchandise used, each coat should dry 15 to 20 minutes before the following is employed. The concluding coat should dry for no significantly less than an hour.
An automobile compound buffed into the surface using an auto polisher and circular buffing pads is used by some. Hand frequently does additional buffing. Glazing can also be applied with a soft cloth to bring up a more dazzling luster.
Tear Down and Reinstall Fixtures
Once the finish has dried to the contact, per product recommendations or after two hours, whichever comes first, slowly remove all masking, paper, and plastic from the job site. In case some of the just applied finish begins to pull away with masking it is best to work with a utility knife in hand. Work with care over the just finished surface. Bundle waste into building bags and dispose of appropriately.
Find a Bathub Professional near you
It is frequently better left to a master while bathtub refinishing can certainly be a DIY project. SB Refinishers in San Diego bathtub refinishing is simply one of the jobs that are very nearly priced. Prices generally range from $400 to $500 and are often packaged with an important guarantee.
In hiring a professional for this particular job, the most important variable is the individual tech scheduled to do the work. That’s right, don’t necessarily hire an expert based on the standing of the company, on their procedure, or on their system, but instead on the authentic person you would desire doing your job. These machinists ought to be able to produce a portfolio of work and references. Request it and review it before making the decision.