Are you looking for Bathtub refinishing in San Ysidro? SB Refinishers is your local solution Call us today for a FREE consultation (619) 781-8949
You could probably say this about lots of things, but tubs–they only don’t make ‘em like they used to. Bathrooms were assembled around them. These tubs were significantly fuller and hence more encouraging compared to the tubs you’d see now. The dominant colour for bathtubs is white and it’s essentially the only method to really go.
With the 60s and 70s came the investigation of bathroom fixtures in beige, browns, pastels, and so on. Despite these poor alternatives, tubs in this era were still very nicely made. Bathtubs in steel seemed, while construction shifted to contain lightweights like acrylic, and like the casting irons, these steel tubs were elegant and even occasionally sculptural in design.
Cast iron is usually heralded for its indestructibility, even when rust might set in. It has a close relative in steel, in fact one would turn into the other. Cast iron is more heavy, while steel is heavy, and baths made of these alloys finally last well beyond their finish.
Learn more about:SB Refinishers – we cover your needs in San Ysidro.
For just these reasons, you might choose to refinish a bathtub. Any type of bath may be refinished while those with a classic clawfoot refinish hope to attain a vintage feel. This post focus on the redo of an alcove tub, undoubtedly the most frequently installed bathtub.
Tools Substances Skill Level
• Acid-Established commercial cleaner Complex 4 to 8 Hours
• Putty knife •
• Straight razor • Baking soda
• Shop Vac • Plastic sheeting
• Wire brush • Masking tape
• Auto polisher/buffer •
Polish pads and • Buffing • Sandpaper
Canvas drop cloth
Porcelain repair epoxy or polyester glazing putty
• Rags and towels • Two-Part fiberglass repair putty
• Paper or store towels • Tack fabric
• Little mixing trough • Porcelain bonding agent
Specialty acrylic urethane OR acrylic aliphatic polyurethane OR high gloss polyurethane and white paint
• Electric paint sprayer • Denatured alcohol
• Plumbing tools
Tub Refinishing Concerns
Off Site or In Place?
Cast iron and steel tubs are incredibly heavy, as mentioned previously, and you’ll need a hand, at least three, to safely remove and deliver them to a refinishing works. In the case of an alcove tub, one that is “built-in,” it is typically best to approach it while it is still in place.
A refinishing works may often start with a process called “dunking” or stripping the initial finish. After stripped, your bathtub may have a porcelain enamel applied before it is finally re-fired in a kiln. Comparable coatings could be implemented onsite; stripping, however, is replaced with other way of prep.
Are You Going To Replace Hardware?
Working under the premise that once (re)concluded, you’ll have a fresh look bath. It could be worth it to plan for an upgrade of the bathtub’s existing drain hardware.
It ought to be pointed out, too, that the edges are typically the “weakest” part of any finish. In a place constantly subjected to water, it makes sense at minimum to remove the drain before applying your new bathtub finish.
Note: When updating a bathtub’s drain assembly, accessibility to the lower wall cavity behind the bathtub drain is demanded at a minimum.
Need help with Bathtub refinishing? SB Refinishers provides you with the highest quality services for your needs.
Because, in most cases, you’ll be working with paints that are airborne and caustic substances, make certain that you have sufficient ventilation as you work. Along with running a built-in bath fan, it could additionally make sense to open a window and use cross-ventilation by setting a fan in an opposing doorway. Ventilation equipment can also be leased at home improvement stores or rental centres if added concerns persist around your capacity to work or apply paint efficiently.
Ready the Job
There are numerous methods available for essentially preparing a tub refinish. No matter the strategy you choose, take great care in this phase. The steps below are common to any occupation prep strategy you might pick:
1) Remove Present Caulk: Remove caulk that should be touching the bathtub surface. Begin by cutting the top and bottom edges of the caulk bead using a utility knife. Follow with a stiff putty knife and end with a straight razor blade. Fully remove all present caulk. Sweep out or vacuum any debris that may make its way to the underparts of the the bathtub up.
2) Remove OR Hide the Overflow Plate: Strategy to replace present bath hardware. The bath’s drain continues to be in good working order, and also if this is not attainable, remove the bathtub’s overflow plate. Baths fitted with interconnected stoppers can be disconnected or disassembled, but because of uniquenesses in moving parts (notably with classic bathtubs), it may be better to simply hide overflow plates off. Be aware not to permit linkages to fall back into the overflow if you opt to remove a connected lever or drain.
3) Remove Drain Pop Up, Strainer Assembly, OR Mask: Remove as many of the exposed finished drain parts as possible. Mask any finished surface that you just choose not to remove. Poke holes used} in the prep stage to allow for drainage of water.
4) Give the Bath an Industrial Cleaning: Using an acid-based cleanser, spray down the whole bathtub surface. Let the merchandise sit for five minutes and use a stiff-bristled brush to scrub away spots. Because these cleaners are caustic, wear rubber gloves (or better) and a correctly rated respirator. Then let the tub dry.
5) Mask Off the Tub Area: Using a relatively strong plastic, begin in the edge of the bathtub and mask off the alcove walls at least four feet. Mask both the interior of the bathtub as well as the face (or apron) of the bath as it intersects with toilet walls. Do the same with the tub as it meets the floor. Cut holes in locations where faucet or bathtub spouts handles may seem. Before spraying, use masking tape.
6) Mask Tub Spout and Faucet Handles: While you might need to time this with the other measures beneath, wrap tub spouts and faucets with builder’s paper or added plastic (cling wrap will work just as well). Alternatively, it might make sense simply to remove them.
Ready the Surface and Also Make Modest Repairs
Apply an Acid Etching Paste
Utilize a stiff-bristled four inch stain a scrub brush or brush to employ an acid etch designed specially for porcelain. Cover the surface of the tub completely and let about 15 minutes for this product to do its thing. Wear rubber gloves (or better) and a correctly rated respirator. Wipe dry with store towels.
Alternatives for Acid Etching
Some will forgo acid etching in favor of applying a bonding agent just. Others might use mechanical means to rough up the bath surface. While this process is somewhat competitive, most finishing products are self-leveling to the degree that they’re going to level out reasonably over a “ scarified” surface.
Fixing Bath Surface Imperfections
Grittiness and stains can appear on bathtub surfaces after decades of improper cleaning. Abrasive and bleach cleansers might be harmful to bathtub surfaces, themselves. Green stains or rust could be addressed using oxalic acid mixed in hot water with talc to form a whiting paste.
Processors or dings should likewise be addressed prior to applying a finish. Blend of two -component fiberglass repair putty and apply to the affected region by means of a plastic spreader.
Follow with porcelain or polyester glazing to fill in small pockets that could show up in the repaired area if needed.
Wipe down the bathtub with paper towels and follow with a tack cloth.
Elective: For a much more comprehensive cleaning, give one final wipe to the bathtub with fast-evaporating denatured alcohol.
Caution: Simply use if acids weren’t used or have been effectively neutralized.
Applying Finishes: DIY Strategy
There is a seemingly innumerable array of refinishing kits available from reputable manufacturers. Generally, you’ll find varying levels of quality and dry times with these products. Do your homework before purchasing and understand that effectiveness may be informed by price over time. Pick a name that is reputable and follow all directions closely. These kits should afford a finish continuing one to five years with proper attention.
Construct Your Very Own Clothing
Brush on an appropriate bonding agent,or spray on an appropriate primer using an airless (sub HVLP) paint sprayer (available for rent at local home improvement stores or rental centers). The topcoat is implemented using the same sprayer (make certain to wash it thoroughly between steps). Hold the gun about six inches from the surface when spraying. As you move back and forth work using long strokes and a continuous movement, overlapping slightly. Play around with a mixture of white paint and high-gloss polyurethane. Alternatively, spray or roll on a two-part marine epoxy. In case you haven’t skimped on homework, this method should yield a finish that can last between 3 and 10 years.
Implementing Finishes: Pro Strategy
Professional refinishers are plentiful, but be warned: techniques and the products used plus their views vary widely.
(There is much debate online about the preferred sprayer sort for this job.n general, select airless and HVLP through others.) Depending on the product used, each layer should dry 15 to 20 minutes before the next is applied. The concluding coat should dry for no significantly less than an hour.
A wet sanding with 600/800/1000-grit paper smooths any imperfections. Some use an automobile compound buffed into the surface using circular buffing pads and an auto polisher. Hand often does added buffing. Glazing may also be implemented with a soft cloth to bring up a dazzling luster.
Tear Down and Reinstall Fixtures
Once the finish has dried to the contact, per product recommendations or after two hours, whichever comes first, slowly remove all masking, paper, and plastic from the job site. In case some of the newly applied finish begins to pull away with masking, it’s a good idea to work with a utility knife in hand. Work with attention over the just finished surface. Bundle waste into construction bags and dispose of appropriately.
Locate a Bathub Professional near you
It is often better left to a master, while tub refinishing can absolutely be a DIY project. SB Refinishers in San Diego bathtub refinishing is only one of the very almost priced jobs. Costs typically range from $400 to $500 and are often packaged with a guarantee that is significant.
In hiring a pro for this occupation, the most significant variable is the individual tech scheduled to do the work. That’s correct, don’t always hire a pro based on the name of the business, on their system, or on their process, but instead on the authentic person you would desire doing your job. These mechanics ought to be able to create a portfolio of work and references. Request it and review it before making the decision.
[su_tabs active=”3″][su_tab title=”Refinishing Videos”][su_tabs active=”3″][su_tab title=”Refinishing Videos”][/su_tab] [/su_tabs][/su_tab] [/su_tabs]