Are you looking for Bathtub refinishing in Lincoln Acres CA? SB Refinishers is your local solution Call us today for a FREE consultation (619) 781-8949
You can probably say this about a lot of matters, but tubs–they merely don’t make ‘em like they used to. For the bigger part of the last century, bathtubs were formed from cast iron and coated with porcelain enamel. Bathrooms were assembled around them. These tubs were considerably fuller and consequently more encouraging in relation to the tubs you had find today. The dominant colour for bathtubs is white which is almost the sole way to really go.
With the 60s and 70s arrived the exploration of bathroom fixtures in browns, beige, pastels, and so on. Despite these bad alternatives, tubs in this era were still very well made. Tubs in steel seemed while building shifted to comprise lightweights like acrylic, and in design, these steel baths were refined and even occasionally sculptural like the cast irons.
Cast iron is generally heralded for its indestructibility, even when rust might set in. It’s a close relative in steel, in fact just small tweaks in composition would turn one into the other. Cast iron is more heavy, while steel is heavy, and tubs made of these alloys finally last well beyond their finish.
Learn more about:SB Refinishers – we cover your needs in Lincoln Acres CA.
For just these reasons, you might decide to refinish a bath. Any kind of tub could be refinished while those with a classic clawfoot refinish hope to reach a vintage feel. This post focus on the redo of an alcove bath, undoubtedly the most frequently installed bathtub.
Tools Materials Ability Level
• Utility knife • Acid-Based commercial cleaner Advanced
• Putty knife • Acid etching paste
• Auto polisher/buffer • Abrasive cleaning pads
Polish pads and • Buffing • Sandpaper
Canvas drop cloth
• Rubber gloves • Porcelain repair epoxy or polyester glazing putty
• Rags and towels • Two-Component fiberglass repair putty
• Paper or store towels • Tack cloth
• Little mixing trough •
• Plastic spreaders • Specialty acrylic urethane OR acrylic aliphatic polyurethane OR white paint and high gloss polyurethane
• Electric paint sprayer • Denatured alcohol
Plumbing tools that are •
Tub Refinishing Factors
Off Site or In Place?
Cast iron and steel tubs are very heavy, as mentioned previously, and you’ll need a hand, at least three, to remove and deliver them to a refinishing works. In the case of an alcove bath, one that is “built in,” it’s typically best to approach it while it’s still in place.
A refinishing works may commonly start with a process called “dunking” or stripping the initial finish. After stripped, your bath may again have a porcelain enamel used before it is ultimately re-fired in a kiln. Comparable coatings can be implemented onsite; stripping, however, is replaced with other way of prep.
Will You Replace Hardware?
Working under the premise that once (re)finished, you’ll have a brand new look bath. It might be worthwhile to plan for an update of the bathtub’s present drain hardware.
It ought to be pointed out, too, the edges are typically the “weakest” part of any finish. In a place always subjected to water, prior to applying your new bath finish, it makes sense at minimum to eliminate the drain.
Note: Access to the lower wall cavity supporting the bathtub drain is required at the absolute minimum when upgrading a bath’s drain assembly.
Need help with Bathtub refinishing? SB Refinishers provides you with the highest quality services for your needs.
Because, generally, you’ll be working with paints that are airborne and caustic substances, ensure that you have adequate ventilation as you work. Along with running a built-in bathroom fan, it may additionally make sense to open a window and utilize cross-ventilation by setting a fan in an opposing doorway. Ventilation gear can also be rented at home improvement stores or rental centers if additional concerns persist around your skill to work or implement paint efficiently.
Ready the Occupation
There are numerous approaches for essentially preparing a tub refinish available. Regardless of the strategy you choose, take great care in this period. The steps below are common to any job preparation strategy you might select:
1) Remove Present Caulk: Remove caulk that should be contacting the tub surface. Start by cutting the top and bottom edges of the caulk bead using a utility knife. Follow with a stiff putty knife and end with a straight razor blade. Fully remove all present caulk. Sweep out or vacuum any debris which could make its way to the bottom of the bath up.
2) Remove OR Mask the Overflow Plate: Strategy to replace existing bath hardware. The bath’s drain is still in great working order, and also if this isn’t doable, remove. Be conscious not to let linkages to fall back into the overflow should you decide to remove a connected lever or drain.
3) Remove Drain Pop Up, Strainer Assembly, OR Mask: Remove as many of the open finished drain components as possible. Mask any finished surface that you just choose not to remove. Poke holes or make an X in masking tape as it’ll be used in the homework stage to allow for drainage of water.
4) Give the Bath an Industrial Cleaning: Using an acid-based cleaner, spray down the whole tub surface. Allow the merchandise sit for five minutes and make use of a stiff-bristled brush to scrub away spots. Because these cleansers are caustic, wear rubber gloves (or better) and a properly rated respirator. Then let the bath dry.
5) Mask Off the Bath Space: Using a relatively durable plastic, begin at the edge of the bathtub and mask off the alcove walls at least four feet. Mask both the inside of the bath as well as the face (or apron) of the bath as it intersects with toilet walls. As it meets the floor, do the same with the tub. Cut holes in places where bathtub spouts or faucet handles may appear. Use masking tape prior to spraying.
6) Mask Tub Spout and Faucet Handles: While you may need to time this with the other measures under, wrapping tub spouts and faucets with contractor’s paper or added plastic (cling wrap will work just as well). Instead, it may make sense simply to remove them.
Ready the Surface and Make Minor Repairs
Apply an Acid Etching Paste
Make use of a stiff-bristled four inch stain brush or a scrub brush to implement an acid etch designed specifically for porcelain. Cover of the tub completely and let about 15 minutes for this particular merchandise to do its thing. Wear rubber gloves (or better) and a correctly rated respirator. Wipe dry with shop towels.
Options for Acid Etching
Some will forgo acid etching in favor of implementing a bonding agent only. Others might use mechanical means to rough up the bathtub surface. This really is done by way of using sanding (aka flap) discs fitted to an angle grinder. While this process is somewhat competitive, most completing products are self-leveling to the degree that they’ll level out pretty over a “ scarified” surface.
Mending Tub Surface Imperfections
Grittiness and stains can appear after decades of improper cleaning on bath surfaces. Abrasive and bleach cleansers can be detrimental to bath surfaces, themselves working to etch porcelain. Rust or green stains can be addressed using oxalic acid mixed in hot water with talc to form a whiting paste.
Chips or dings should additionally be addressed prior to applying a finish. Blend of two -component fiberglass repair putty and apply to the affected region by means of a plastic spreader.
Follow with porcelain or polyester glazing to fill in small pockets that could show up in the fixed region if necessary.
Wipe down the bathtub with paper towels and follow with a tack cloth.
Optional: For a more extensive cleaning, give one final wipe to the bath with accelerated-evaporating denatured alcohol.
Caution: If acids weren’t used, simply use or have been effectively neutralized.
Applying Finishes: DIY Approach
There’s a seemingly countless array of refinishing kits accessible from reputable makers. Generally, you’ll find varying amounts of both quality and dry times with these products. Do your research before purchasing and comprehend that effectiveness may be informed by price over time. Choose a reputable name and follow all instructions closely. These kits should yield a finish continuing one to five years with proper attention.
Build Your Own Apparel
Brush on an appropriate bonding agent,or spray on an appropriate primer using an airless (sub HVLP) paint sprayer (available for rent at local home improvement stores or rental facilities). The topcoat is implemented using the same sprayer (make certain to clean it thoroughly between steps). Work using long strokes and also a continuous movement, overlapping somewhat as you move forth and back. Play around with a mixture of white paint and high-gloss polyurethane. Instead, spray or roll on a two-part marine epoxy. This approach should yield a finish that can endure between 3 and 10 years in the event you haven’t skimped on homework.
Employing Finishes: Pro Approach
Professional refinishers are plentiful, but be warned: techniques and the products used plus their opinions vary widely.
(There’s much debate online about the favorite sprayer kind for this job.n general, select airless and HVLP finished others.) Depending on the merchandise used, each coat should dry 15 to 20 minutes before the following is employed. The concluding coat should dry for no less than an hour.
A car compound buffed into the surface using an auto polisher and circular buffing pads is used by some. Added buffing is often done by hand. Glazing can also be employed with a soft cloth to bring up a dazzling luster.
It’s a good idea to work with a utility knife in hand in case any one of the newly applied finish begins to pull away with masking. Work with care over the recently finished surface. Package waste into construction totes and dispose of appropriately.
Find a Bathub Professional near you
It’s frequently better left to a professional while tub refinishing can really be a DIY project. SB Refinishers in San Diego bathtub refinishing is simply one of the occupations that are very almost priced. Prices typically range from $400 to $500 and are often packaged with a warranty that is significant.
In hiring a pro for this particular occupation, the most important variable is the individual technician scheduled to do the work. That’s correct, don’t always hire an expert based on the standing of the company, on their system, or on their procedure, but rather on the real person you would need doing your job. These mechanics ought to have the ability to produce a portfolio of work and references. Request it and review it before making a choice.