Are you looking for Bathtub refinishing in Chula Vista California? SB Refinishers is your local solution Call us today for a FREE consultation (619) 781-8949
You can probably say this about a lot of things, but tubs–they just don’t make ‘em like they used to. Bathrooms were constructed around them. These baths were significantly fuller and hence more inviting than the baths you had see nowadays. The dominant color for tubs is white and it’s virtually the sole solution to go.
With the 60s and 70s came the investigation of bathroom fixtures in beige, browns, pastels, and so on. Despite these poor alternatives, tubs in this age were still really well made. While construction shifted to contain lightweights like acrylic, baths in steel appeared, and in layout, these steel bathtubs were even occasionally sculptural and elegant like the cast irons.
Cast iron is generally heralded for its indestructibility when rust might set in. It’s a close relative in steel, in fact one would turn into the other. While steel is heavy, cast iron is heavier, and bathtubs made of these metals ultimately last well beyond their finish.
Learn more about:Refinishing Company in San Diego – we cover your needs in Chula Vista California.
For just these reasons, you might decide to refinish a tub. Any kind of tub may be refinished, while those with a classic clawfoot refinish hope to attain a vintage feel. This post focus on the redo of an alcove tub, definitely the most frequently installed bathtub.
Tools Materials Skill Level Estimated Time
• Utility knife • Acid-Based commercial cleanser Complex
• Putty knife • Acid etching paste
• Shop Vac • Plastic sheeting
Abrasive cleaning pads
Polish pads and • Buffing • Sandpaper
• Respirator • Canvas drop cloth
Towels and • Rags • Two-Component fiberglass repair putty
Shop towels or • Paper • Tack cloth
• Small mixing trough • Porcelain bonding agent
• Plastic spreaders • Specialty acrylic urethane OR acrylic aliphatic polyurethane OR high gloss polyurethane and white paint
• Electrical paint sprayer • Denatured alcohol
• Caulk gun • Silicone caulk
• Plumbing tools
Bathtub Refinishing Concerns
Off Site or In Place?
Cast iron and steel baths are extremely heavy, as mentioned above, and you’ll need at least three, a hand, to remove and deliver them to a refinishing works. In the event of an alcove bath, one that is “built-in,” it is generally best to approach it while it is still in place.
A refinishing works may frequently start with a procedure called “dipping” or stripping the original finish. After stripped, your bathtub may again have a porcelain enamel used before it is ultimately re-fired in a kiln. Comparable coatings could be applied onsite; stripping, nevertheless, is replaced with other way of homework.
Are You Going To Replace Hardware?
Working under the assumption that once (re)finished, you’ll have a fresh appearance tub. It might be worth it to plan for an upgrade of the bathtub’s existing drain hardware.
It ought to be pointed out, too, that the edges are usually the “poorest” part of any finish. In a place always subjected to water, it seems sensible at minimum to remove the drain ahead of applying your new bathtub finish.
Note: When updating a bathtub’s drain assembly, accessibility to the lower wall cavity supporting the bathtub drain is demanded at a minimum.
Need help with Bathtub refinishing? SB Refinishers provides you with the highest quality services for your needs.
Contemplate How You’ll VentilateBecause, generally, you’ll be working with caustic materials and airborne paints, make sure that you have sufficient ventilation as you work. Along with running a built-in bathroom fan, it may additionally make sense to open a window and utilize cross-ventilation by placing a fan in an opposing doorway. If additional concerns persist around your capacity to work or employ paint effectively, ventilation gear may also be rented at rental centers or home improvement stores.
Ready the Occupation
There are numerous methods available for effectively preparing a tub refinish. No matter the approach you select, take great care in this period. The measures below are common to any job training strategy you might choose:
1) Remove Existing Caulk: Remove caulk that should be contacting the bath surface. Begin by cutting the top and bottom edges of the caulk bead using a utility knife. Follow with a stiff putty knife and end with a straight razor blade. Completely remove. Sweep out or vacuum any debris which will make its way to the bottom of the bath up.
2) Remove OR Hide the Overflow Plate: Plan to replace existing bath hardware. The bath’s drain continues to be in good working order, and if this isn’t possible, remove. Baths fitted with connected stoppers can be disconnected or disassembled, but because of uniquenesses in moving parts (especially with classic tubs), it might be best to just conceal overflow plates away. Should you decide to remove a connected lever, be conscious not to let linkages to fall back in the overflow or drain.
3) Remove Drain Pop-Up, Strainer Assembly, OR Mask: Remove as many of the exposed finished drain parts as possible. Mask any finished surface that you simply choose not to remove. Poke holes or make an X in masking tape as it will be used in the homework period, to allow for drainage of water.
4) Give the Bath an Industrial Cleaning: Using an acid-based cleanser, spray down the complete tub surface. Allow the product sit for five full minutes and use a stiff-bristled brush to scrub away stains. Because these cleaners are caustic, wear rubber gloves (or better) and a properly rated respirator. Then allow the bath dry.
5) Mask Off the Tub Space: Using a relatively durable plastic, begin in the edge of the bathtub and mask off the alcove walls at least four feet. Mask both the interior of the bath as well as the face (or apron) of the bathtub as it intersects with toilet walls. As it meets the floor, do the same with the tub. Cut holes in places where bathtub spouts or faucet handles may seem. Apply masking tape prior to spraying.
6) Mask Tub Spout and Faucet Handles: While you may require to time this with the other steps below, wrap bathtub spouts and faucets with builder’s paper or additional plastic (cling wrap will work just as well). Instead, it might make sense only to remove them.
Prepare the Surface and Make Modest Repairs
Use a stiff-bristled four inch stain brush or a scrub brush to employ an acid etch designed specially for porcelain. Cover of the tub fully and allow around 15 minutes for this product to do its thing. Wear rubber gloves (or better) and a correctly rated respirator. Remove with a (clean) scrub brush and wash down the drain with tub water. Wipe dry with shop towels.
Options for Acid Etching
Some will forgo acid etching in favor of using a bonding agent just. Others may use mechanical means to rough up the tub surface. This really is done by way of using sanding (aka flap) disks fitted to an angle grinder. While this process is somewhat competitive, most completing products are self-leveling to the amount that they’re going to level out reasonably over a “ ” surface that is scarified.
Fixing Bath Surface Imperfections
Spots and grittiness can appear on bathtub surfaces after decades of improper cleaning. Bleach and abrasive cleansers can be damaging to bathtub surfaces, themselves working to etch porcelain. Green spots or rust could be addressed using oxalic acid mixed in hot water with talc to form a paste that was whiting.
Dings or chips should also be addressed prior to applying a finish. Blend of two -part fiberglass repair putty and apply to the affected area using a plastic spreader.
Follow with polyester or porcelain glazing to fill in little pockets which could appear in the fixed region if necessary.
Wipe down the bathtub with paper towels and follow with a tack cloth.
Discretionary: For a more extensive cleaning, give the bathtub one final wipe with rapid-evaporating denatured alcohol.
Caution: If acids were not used, only use or have been effectively neutralized.
Applying Finishes: DIY Approach
There’s a seemingly innumerable collection of refinishing kits accessible from reputable makers. Generally, you’ll find varying degrees of quality and dry times with these products. Do your homework before purchasing and comprehend that effectiveness may be informed by cost with time. Pick a reputable name and follow all directions closely. These kits should give a finish lasting one to five years with appropriate attention.
Assemble Your Very Own Apparel
Brush on an appropriate bonding agent,or spray on an appropriate primer using an airless (sub HVLP) paint sprayer (available for lease at local home improvement stores or rental centers). The topcoat is implemented using the same sprayer (make sure to clean it thoroughly between steps). As you move back and forth, work using long strokes along with a constant movement, overlapping slightly. Play around with a mixture of white paint and high-gloss polyurethane. Alternatively, spray or roll on a two-component marine epoxy. In the event you haven’t skimped on prep, this process should yield a finish that’ll endure between 3 and 10 years.
Employing Finishes: Professional Strategy
Professional refinishers are plentiful, but be warned: the products and techniques used plus their views vary widely. It might not be surprising that many pro refinishers started out in trades like auto body repair, where work is usually personalized.
(There’s much debate online about the preferred sprayer kind for this particular occupation.n general, choose airless and HVLP finished others.) Depending on the product used, each layer should dry 15 to 20 minutes before the next is implemented. The concluding coat should dry for no less than an hour.
Some use an automobile compound buffed into the surface using circular buffing pads and an auto polisher. Added buffing is frequently done by hand. Glazing may also be applied with a soft cloth to bring up a brilliant luster.
Tear Down and Reinstall Fixtures
In case any one of the newly applied finish begins to pull away with masking it is best to work with a utility knife in hand. Work with care over the newly finished surface. Bundle waste into building totes and dispose of appropriately.
While bathtub refinishing can definitely be a DIY project, it’s often better left to a master. SB Refinishers in San Diego bathtub refinishing is simply one of the jobs that are very almost priced. Prices typically range from $400 to $500 and are often packaged with a warranty that is significant.
The most crucial variable in hiring a pro for this particular occupation is the individual tech scheduled to do the work. That’s right, don’t necessarily hire an expert based on the reputation of the company, on their system, or on their process, but instead on the genuine person you would need doing your job. These machinists should be able to create a portfolio of work and references. Request it before making a decision, and review it.
[su_tabs active=”3″][su_tab title=”Refinishing Videos”][su_tabs active=”3″][su_tab title=”Refinishing Videos”][/su_tab] [/su_tabs][/su_tab] [/su_tabs]